There’s been a lot written recently on how old people should – or shouldn’t – be when it comes to running your social media accounts.
Some say under 23, while others say no way, Jose – no-one under 23 is getting near my social media account.
But we’re looking at the wrong argument, people – it’s not age we should be worried about, it’s idiots.
In fact, I refuse to think that we’re that stupid we can’t see the difference between a disinterested idiot and an enthusiastic young adult.
Here’s why. Ready?
1. Maturity has nothing to do with age and everything to do with mindset. I’ve met many an immature adult. Just don’t hire idiots.
2. Yes, some might be. Don’t hire idiots.
3. I’m exhausted with the experience argument. Think of the difference between 10 months experience and 10 years experience. Not that much, right? Hiring on experience helps with management positions, but using it as an excuse to not hire someone is lazy. Don’t hire idiots.
4. Why the hell would someone’s friend post something inappropriate to your company’s social media channels? So my best friend might post pictures of tits to a page I’m running? Seriously? Don’t be an idiot.
5. Damn right a class can’t replace experience. So we begrudge a generation for not going to school, and then when they do, we tell them they should’ve been working all that time? What the hell? Don’t be an idiot.
6. It’s not a 23-year-old’s fault for not understanding your business. You have to explain it, tell them, work with them. There’s a reason in-house social media is more effective than outsourced. All together, let’s not be idiots.
7. Communication skills come with time and experience, sure. They also come with being born an extrovert and being around people their entire life. I learned how to communicate well from drama classes. Let’s just not hire an introvert for an extrovert’s job. Don’t be an idiot.
8. Humor is tricky business. Damn right. And sadly, kids are better at detecting and using humor online than adults. Adults still use faces. Case closed, don’t be an idiot.
9. Seriously? Tech savvy is required for social media strategy? I don’t disagree here, but you can’t honestly define your goals of a social media presence until you start. Let’s all work together now and not be idiots together.
10. No shit things can be crisis-management. And if they don’t know how to handle it, they should be in a work environment that allows them to say, “I’m in over my head. Help.” Much of crisis-management is how the business wants to handle it. 99% of people would have told Chic-fil-A to stop being bigoted, hateful assholes. But that’s not what the company wanted to do. Work together. Jesus. Don’t be an asshole.
11. No shit you need to know the social media passwords. Don’t be an idiot.
Stupid people shouldn’t be allowed to manage your social media accounts. They also shouldn’t be allowed to write for INC.
Enjoy this post? Make sure you get the latest article delivered to you as soon as it's published by subscribing via RSS or Email (emails are usually sent out the morning after the post goes live). We respect your privacy and will never spam you.